How can I tell if the spider I was bitten by is a brown recluse?

In brief: By getting a good

look at the spider while it is in the act.
Brown recluse spider's bite can cause no reaction, a mild reaction, an immediate or a delayed reaction. With a significant reaction a which blister appears after bit. The surrounding skin becomes hard, swollen & can be red, white & blue. A deep lesion can develop which can eat through fat and muscle.

In brief: By getting a good

In brief: The spider

The brown recluse spider bite will have a black center with red surrounding it.
The black part is where the tissues are dying. Other spider bites may look this way as well. Actually seeing the spider is the best way to identify the bite.

In brief: The spider

Dr. Johnnie Alston
Dr. Johnnie Alston
Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care