Is hemochromatosis considered dominant or considered recessive?

Dr. Jason Hemming
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Recessive (sort of)

The common genetic defect in the hfe gene for phenotypic hemochromatosis is the c282y/c282y homozygous.
However other defects other than c282y can lead to hemochromatosis. C282y heterozgyotes with hhc are though to posses another unclassified defect.

In brief: Recessive (sort of)

Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Jason Hemming
Excellent answer. If you have a single dose and really overdo your iron intake, you can get sick.
Pathology

In brief: Artificial terms

For the common hemochromatosis gene, two doses (as for a recessive trait) makes it very likely that you'll get seriously sick from it, while one dose does put you at substantial extra risk if you overdo iron intake.
As with sickle cell, cystic fibrosis, and many other common "recessive" diseases, some heterozygotes have some resulting health plusses and minuses. I hope this helps.

In brief: Artificial terms