What is the best material for breast implant?

Dr. Barry Cohen
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: All implants
Have a silicone shell there are pros and cons of silcone fills and saline .
Talk to you doctor to customize surgery for your needs.

In brief: All implants
Dr. Barry Cohen
Dr. Barry Cohen
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics
In brief: Your own body tissue
Breast implants saline or silicone have been "provisionally" approved by the fda.
There is now a rare cancer called anaplastic large cell lymphoma associated with implants. Please see the website fda.Gov search implants for info. Regular mri's of the implants every 2-3 years for follow-up of possible silent rupture. Implants need to be replaced 10 years ++ or sooner. Lots to consider.

In brief: Your own body tissue
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Saline or silicone..
Both have advantages and disadvantages.
In my opinion, the majority of patients do very well with saline implants. They cost less, feel natural, and are very easy to replace if they leak. Because they are filled with saline (which is what we are filled with, ) when they leak the body absorbs the saline and they deflate, usually over 1-2 weeks. Silicone is better for very thin women-ask your surgeon.

In brief: Saline or silicone..
Both have advantages and disadvantages.
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Both Types...
Breast implants can be filled with saline or silicone gel material.
I do not think that it is fair or objective to state that one type is better than another; each has its pros/cons that patients should educate themselves about. Specific patients, depending on their body type and preferences, may benefit from one type of breast implant versus another. Attached link may be helpful.

In brief: Both Types...
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. James Boynton
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Silicone gel is best
Plastic surgeons use saline and silicone gel implants.
Both are fda approved and very safe. Saline is a "salt water" filled silicone elastomer shell (like a balloon). Silicone gel is a cohesive medical grade silicone that is not a fluid - it is cohesive . It looks and feels the best and most natural. Silicone gel is truly "the cadillac " breast implant but is lasts the longest too.

In brief: Silicone gel is best
Dr. James Boynton
Dr. James Boynton
Dr. Alex Lechtman
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Depends
I tell patients that the advantages of silicone are they are softer and they ripple less than saline.
The disadvantages are that they are more expensive, need a larger incision (depending on size) and the fda strongly suggests patients with silicone implants get mri's at 3 years and every two years thereafter to check for rupture because when a silicone implant breaks, you don't know it.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Alex Lechtman
Dr. Alex Lechtman
Dr. Matthew Schulman
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Implant material
There are pros and cons of each implant type.
Speak to a board certified plastic surgeon. http://www.drschulmanplasticsurgery.com/breast/breast-augmentation/.

In brief: Implant material
Dr. Matthew Schulman
Dr. Matthew Schulman
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery