What is better for hypertension: arbs or ACE inhibitors?

Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis
In brief: No Difference
Ace and arb both are used to treat hypertension by similar mechanisms.
They decrease blood flow to part of the kidney that causes an overall decrease in total blood pressure. The only difference is that with an ace you can develop a persistent dry cough. Once this occurs, you have an allergy to the ace. The arb treats the BP without the cough.

In brief: No Difference
Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Dr. Mohammed Al hallak
In brief: Lisinopril
both has the same side effects including cough and angioedema.
. Losing prop is cheaper and I start with that usually

In brief: Lisinopril
Dr. Mohammed Al hallak
Dr. Mohammed Al hallak
Dr. Yash Khanna
In brief: Both Are Good BUT
Ace Inhibiters and Angiotensin Receptor Blockers are both effective and bring the Blood Pressure down effectively I will say Arbs are preferred overAce Inhibiter because of side effects like cough and angio edema with Ace Inhibiters as compared to ARBS

In brief: Both Are Good BUT
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Liviu Klein
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Equivalent
Both classes of medications are equivalent in blood pressure reduction, prevention of diabetes and delaying kidney damage in patients with high blood pressure.

In brief: Equivalent
Dr. Liviu Klein
Dr. Liviu Klein
Dr. Adam Smith