Does B9 deficiency make people psychotic?

Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Good question
Vitamin B9 is commonly referred to as Folic Acid or just folate (folic acid).
It has been studied extensively. Currently, there is evidence that a folate (folic acid) deficiency during pregnancy can result in the baby having what is called a neuro tube defect. That means, that the central nervous system, can develop abnormally, if there is not enough folate (folic acid) while in utero (in the womb). The jury is out about psychosis.

In brief: Good question
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care
In brief: B9 or folic acid
B9 or Folic Acid deficiency can cause mental depression, confusion, and irritability.
I suppose some of these affects could be interpreted as psychosis by the lay public.

In brief: B9 or folic acid
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Arnon Rubin