How common is the inherited persistence of fetal hemoglobin?

Emily Lu
In brief: Difficult to measure
This is difficult to measure because in most people with inherited persistence of fetal hemoglobin are entirely asymptomatic.
However, population studies have shown that about 10% of the population has been seen to have some persistence of fetal hemoglobin but in varying levels (from 0.8% of cells containing the fetal hemoglobin up to about 10% fetal hemoglobin levels).

In brief: Difficult to measure
Emily Lu
Emily Lu
Answer assisted by Emily Lu, Medical Student
Dr. Michael Rupp
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Not common
I do not know the exact percentages and I am not a pediatric hematologist, but it is not common.

In brief: Not common
Dr. Michael Rupp
Dr. Michael Rupp
Dr. Marsha Davis