Is it safe to scuba dive during my period safe?

Dr. Garrett Garner
Scuba is not a problem. I would not do a shark dive.

Dr. Garrett Garner
Dr. Garrett Garner
Dr. Nicholas Mexas
In brief: No sig issues
Some of the issues are 1) hygiene in remote locales and on dive boats, 2) feelings of dizziness, cold and anxiety can be exaggerated during the dive and 3) if the blood loss is severe it can limit the aerobic exercise capacity of the diver. One study showed no change in cycle length, or hormone levels (FSH, LH, testosterone or progesterone) from diving.

In brief: No sig issues
Dr. Nicholas Mexas
Dr. Nicholas Mexas
That was one of the first questions I asked when I began open water diving.
I was relieved to learn that menstrual bleeding does not attract sharks.

Dr. Halsey Wyatt
In brief: Yes, although...
There have been studies which suggest an increased risk of decompression sickness in women during their period.
However, these mostly looked at altitude decompression or hyperbaric chamber (dry) dives. One large retrospective study found no increased risk for scuba diving. Research has failed to show any evidence that sharks are more attracted to menstruating women. Check dan website for more info.

In brief: Yes, although...
Dr. Halsey Wyatt
Dr. Halsey Wyatt
As a previous professional diver- I would not worry about menstrual blood and sharks.
Dr. Adam Levy