How can I know if I have neurofibromatosis?

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine
In brief: Many signs
Physician with physical exam can detect many signs of nf.
Symptoms of nf1, most common form may be seen at birth and may include light brown spots on the skin ("cafe-au-lait" spots), two or more growths on the iris of the eye, a tumor of optic nerve, a larger than normal head circumference, development of subcutaneous nodules or neurofibromas, abnormal spine, tibia, or other bone.

In brief: Many signs
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Gerald Mandell
In brief: Have an exam
Nf in its many sub-forms is known as a neuro-cutaneous disorder.Skin patches called cafe-au-lait spots occur in the normal population but in forms of nf appear larger & in greater numbers.
Occasionally, special lighting is needed to bring them out. These hyper pigmented patches are a signal that nf may be present. Other skin findings can occur & special tests may be needed to rule out problems.

In brief: Have an exam