Should I avoid feeding my child foods that often cause allergic reactions?

Dr. Douglas Tzanetos
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: No

I would not advise avoiding particular foods, because the vast majority of people tolerate all such foods including peanut, milk, egg, soy, wheat, and fish.
I would introduce these foods at an age appropriate time as advised by your pediatrician. Delaying introduction will not lessen the chance of developing allergy. I would, of course, still delay solids until at least 4 months of age.

In brief: No

Dr. Douglas Tzanetos
Dr. Douglas Tzanetos
Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: No

The first question to ask is if there are people in your family with food allergies.
If so, it is a good idea to avoid these foods until the baby is 2 years old. Talk with your pediatrician about seeing an allergist as well. However if there are no food allergies you may introduce foods slowly, one food every 3-4 days. This way you can tell if your baby has a reaction to a certain food.

In brief: No

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Arthur Torre
Pediatrics - Allergy & Asthma

In brief: No

A few years ago the answer would have been yes, but with the latest studies it appears that offering these foods between 6 months and a year may actually help prevent allergies to them. However if your child actually demonstrates an allergy to a certain food then certainly avoid that food.

In brief: No

Dr. Arthur Torre
Dr. Arthur Torre
Dr. Cindy Juster