Possible food allergy to shrimp once after years of eating it. Can I have crab?

Dr. Lily Hwang
Pediatrics - Allergy & Asthma

In brief: Need further testing

Both shrimp and crab are considered shellfish.
You can be allergic to only one or both but should be tested by an allergist to be certain. Commonly restaurants do not keep their shellfish separate so need to also be careful with cross-contamination.

In brief: Need further testing

Dr. Lily Hwang
Dr. Lily Hwang
Dr. Richard Wachs
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Proceed with caution

First i would verify the food allergy.
I recommend avoidance until fully evaluated and tested by a board certified allergist. If you are allergic to shrimp, i usually recommend avoiding all crustaceans (shrimp, lobster, crab etc) but i would recommend being tested to all of these as they frequently cross react.

In brief: Proceed with caution

First i would verify the food allergy.
Dr. Richard Wachs
Dr. Richard Wachs
Dr. Thomas Klein

In brief: Probably not

The following crustaceans could cause cross reactions: shrimp, lobster, crab, prawns.
If you have an allergy to one of these you may react to any of the others. See an allergist for skin testing to know for sure.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Thomas Klein
Dr. Thomas Klein
Dr. Steven Seres