I'm looking to doing leech therapy for a wound--anyone doing this?

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care

In brief: EEEWWWWWWwwww Leech

The need to use leeches and maggots always intrigues me, but that issue may be better addressed by the psychiatrists in our healthtap team! leeches are an effective tool when there is an injury or procedure that results in venous congestion.
The leeches (sterile from a medical grade source) can be applied to decongest an edematous area due to venous congestion, thus allowing for a better healing.

In brief: EEEWWWWWWwwww Leech

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Ronald Sherman
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Yes - sort of

Leech therapy is used to treat wound-related problems (vascular congestion after flap or replantation surgery, arterial insufficiency), but not the wound itself.

In brief: Yes - sort of

Dr. Ronald Sherman
Dr. Ronald Sherman