I think I just found a dead brown recluse spider in my shoe. Why are they so bad?

In brief: Poison
Brown recluse spiders possess a toxin that is extremely powerful and will cause your skin to die.
Left untreated the toxin can reach the point where you may lose a digit or will be left with a very large wound. There is a specific antibiotic that actually helps neutralize the toxin. Seek help if you are bitten. Check with an exterminator if you think you have a brown recluse problem.

In brief: Poison
Dr. Johnnie Alston
Dr. Johnnie Alston
In brief: See below
Due to the toxin that they carry if bitten it can do severe tissue damage around the area that is bitten.

In brief: See below
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine