3 doctors weighed in:
I think I just found a dead brown recluse spider in my shoe. Why are they so bad?
3 doctors weighed in

1 doctor agrees
In brief: Poison
Brown recluse spiders possess a toxin that is extremely powerful and will cause your skin to die.
Left untreated the toxin can reach the point where you may lose a digit or will be left with a very large wound. There is a specific antibiotic that actually helps neutralize the toxin. Seek help if you are bitten. Check with an exterminator if you think you have a brown recluse problem.

In brief: Poison
Brown recluse spiders possess a toxin that is extremely powerful and will cause your skin to die.
Left untreated the toxin can reach the point where you may lose a digit or will be left with a very large wound. There is a specific antibiotic that actually helps neutralize the toxin. Seek help if you are bitten. Check with an exterminator if you think you have a brown recluse problem.
Dr. Johnnie Alston
Dr. Johnnie Alston
Thank
In brief: See below
Due to the toxin that they carry if bitten it can do severe tissue damage around the area that is bitten.

In brief: See below
Due to the toxin that they carry if bitten it can do severe tissue damage around the area that is bitten.
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine
23 years in practice
171K people helped
Continue
107,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors