I have gastroenteritis on the road. I have an old prescription for ciprofloxacin.Should I take expired medicine?

Dr. Joel Gallant
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Don't treat yourself

Most gastroenteritis is viral and won't get better with antibiotics.
Some forms of gastroenteritis can actually get worse with antibiotics. I don't recommend treating yourself with ciprofloxacin, expired or otherwise.

In brief: Don't treat yourself

Dr. Joel Gallant
Dr. Joel Gallant
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Fyi

The fact that you still have an old prescription also warrants a comment: you should have finished your course of antibiotics as prescribed.
Shortening does not make sense since it carries a risk for relapse. Try to stick to prescribed durations of therapy in the future. And yes. Dont self-medicate with antibiotics unless discussed with your physician.

In brief: Fyi

Dr. Matthias Peuster
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine