How do you tell if your mom has a binge eating disorder?

Your mom is human. The same way you would tell if anyone has binge eating disorder---do they binge? If so, assume she is humiliated and ashamed of her behavior and act gently, accordingly.
What to do. Be supportive but suggest assertively that your mother seek professional help from an team of people who deal with this kind off issue often. She needs individual counseling, dietary intervention, a medical doctor to follow certain medical criteria and often a psychiatrist for psychiatric medication. You can contact contact a place and give your friend some literature.