How do you take care of a foot or hamstring that cramps at night?

In brief: Stretch

Have a towel handy at bedside.
When your foot or hamstring cramps, wrap the towel around your foot and pull upward on the ends. The cramps will "break" with the stretching. Hold the stretch for about 2 minutes and then gently relieve the stretch. Quinine can prevent night cramps and used to be rx'd as the drug "quinaam", but w serious side effects, it was taken off the market. Stretching best.

In brief: Stretch

Have a towel handy at bedside.
Dr. Charles Southerland
Dr. Charles Southerland
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: Magnesium

I would try taking magnesium supplements as directed on the bottle as a starter. One can also drink tonic water before going to bed as it contains quinine.
(careful for diabetics, you would need sugar free .).

In brief: Magnesium

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine