How do oncologists get money from chemo makers?

Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: Markup price
The group buys chemo from a distributor at wholesale prices, then increases the price.
There are additional charges added to mix the chemo and infuse it. This can result in a charge 400% or higher than the cost of the drug. In my opinion, this is wrong. It biases decision-making, even though many doctors won't admit that.

In brief: Markup price
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Matthew Fero
Yes, I agree that this kind of monetary incentive can create biases, and is an argument for salaried physicians. However, the same can be said for private practice physicians who do any kind of procedures - which is pretty much all specialty practices. Patients also come with their own sets of biases. It's not unusual for them to want the latest greatest thing.
Dr. William A Biermann
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: Hopefully not
Some oncologists may be paid to give sponsored talks about drugs they have researched.
Currently, they should only receive payment only for their time. The days of expensive trips for doctors in general are gone for good reason.

In brief: Hopefully not
Dr. William A Biermann
Dr. William A Biermann