Can your knee lock if chondromalacia?

Chondromalacia. Yes if the surface is irregular from the chondromalacia then your knee can lock up.
NO! Imo, the knee only lock if piece of tissue gets trapped in the joint. Stiffness is very common and due to tense tight muscle caused by trigger points in the muscles.
Yes. Locking and catching with sharp pain can be associated with chondromalacia or cartilage defects. These typically stabilize over many months to a level that can be tolaterated. Alternatives include injections and surgery. Depending on size, various procedures may be offered.