Does vitamin E causes blood thinning?

Dr. William Banks Hinshaw

In brief: Possibly

Increased bruising and bleeding into the digestive tract are uncommon side effects of vitamin e.
An ancillary question might be: why should I take vitamin e? If you don't have a very good answer, then why take it?

In brief: Possibly

Dr. William Banks Hinshaw
Dr. William Banks Hinshaw
Dr. Jason Burke
Anesthesiology

Yes, it does thin the blood in larger doses, as it blocks the activity of vitamin k.
Vitamin k is a key component in the formation of clotting factors. If vitamin k is blocked, the blood will not clot well, thus leading to "thin" blood. Most surgeons recommend stopping vitamin E at least a week prior to any kind of surgery.

Dr. Jason Burke
Dr. Jason Burke
Dr. Peter Kurzweil