What can be done about separation anxiety?

Start shorter. Work from very short to longer separation. No surprises. Don't give in when crying starts. Come back after crying stops. Goal is to teach ability to tolerate anxiety, followed by re-assurance that you will be back. Don't teach crying causes you to come back.
Training. Work from very short to longer separation. No surprises. Don't give in when crying starts. Come back after crying stops. Goal is to teach ability to tolerate anxiety, followed by re-assurance that you will be back. Don't teach crying causes you to come back.