I am trying to quit smoking. Any advice?

Dr. Angus Worthing

In brief: Taper, plan, quit

Set a quit date. Cut down to 10 cigarettes a day or lower by then.
Anticipate triggers that will make you crave smoking (being with other smokers, drinking, waking up, etc.) and prepare other things to do. Consider replacing nicotine (gum, patch etc.) which can double your chance of success. Call your doctor and smoke-free friends for help. If you don't quit forever try again! 1-800-quit-now.

In brief: Taper, plan, quit

Dr. Angus Worthing
Dr. Angus Worthing
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Definitely. Do it!

Tobacco cessation requires 2 tasks.
Overcoming nicotine addiction, and a deeply ingrained habit. Withdrawal symptomst last ~3 wks, and many can get past that with will power and nicotine replacement. Sometimes, in my opinion, the harder job is to change the habit. Avoid cues that you associate with smoking, tell family/friends to help, pick a date and get help and meds (varenicline from your md.

In brief: Definitely. Do it!

Tobacco cessation requires 2 tasks.
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology