When tested for hiv, how should a strongly positive ELISA test (index above 7) and a negative western blot be interpreted? What additional testing is required?

Dr. Joel Gallant
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Likely negative
This is probably a negative test.
If the results haven't changed in a month, then you're definitely not infected. If you don't want to wait that long, you could get a viral load test. An undetectable viral load would be highly reassuring, but i'd still repeat the serology.

In brief: Likely negative
This is probably a negative test.
Dr. Joel Gallant
Dr. Joel Gallant
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
In brief: Indetermined
Western blot is the confirmatory test if elisa is positive.
I will repeat test in 4-6 weeks. In general if HIV test is negative and concerned about HIV then i will repeat it in 3 & 6 months. If negative after 6 months, then you dont have HIV infection, assuming you are not having possible exposure (i.e., sex, drug use, etc). If in doubt, then see id doctor.

In brief: Indetermined
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. Peter Kurzweil