I'm a month pregnant. Why do I have these lowerback aches? It feels sort of like I pulled a muscle if I move too fast or turn in different positions.

Dr. Daniel Maddox
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Pregnancy changes

Even early in pregnancy, the number of changes in the physiology of the regional tissues as a result of the growth of the fetus is amazing.
Some of the changes are long-term strategic changes that help prepare for the astounding tissue accomodations involved in vaginal delivery. Best strategy is to cultivate growing strength through eccentric squat exercises. See Baillor's book "Calorie Myth"

In brief: Pregnancy changes

Dr. Daniel Maddox
Dr. Daniel Maddox
Dr. Timothy Brown

In brief: Normal symptom

As the uterus starts to grow from the pregnancy it can pull on and stretch things that are not usually pulled and stretched, producing these sorts of pains.
However, if you have not already done so, you should confirm that this is a normal pregnancy within the uterus.

In brief: Normal symptom

Dr. Timothy Brown
Dr. Timothy Brown
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine