I'm 5 weeks pregnant. Why is it harder for me to breathe? Also, I have lower back aches and my legs & feet keep falling asleep. Is this normal ?

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis

In brief: See below

As uterus/womb enlarges, it presses upward on diaphragm & essentially limits lung volume & diaphragm's excursion.
Larger uterus shifts center of gravity forward, increasing lumbar lordosis (curve) & strain on lower back muscles. Spinal nerves may be compressed, causing numbness/tingling in lower extremities.

In brief: See below

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis

In brief: 1st Pregnancy

It is not uncommon to have the symptoms you describe during pregnancy, although they usually become more apparant toward the end of the 2nd trimester. At only 5 weeks, it is a bit unusual.
As your uterus expands, it presses other organs upwards and outwards. Particularly at night, while sleeping, legs and feet may go numb. Try laying on your side w pillows at night.

In brief: 1st Pregnancy

Dr. Charles Southerland
Dr. Charles Southerland
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham