What is the treatment for vitamin B12 deficiency?

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care

In brief: Vitamin B12

Vitamin B12 deficiency is cured by the administration of vitamin b12.
The issue is how to adminster the vitamin which requires an intact stomach with a functioning chemical called intrinsic factor and an functioning distal terminal ileum. If these arent functioning (your clinician will review this with you) then the vitamin can be administered by monthly injections of B12 rather than by the oral.

In brief: Vitamin B12

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Edward Gold

In brief: Replacement

Either B12 injections or high dose oral therapy.

In brief: Replacement

Dr. Edward Gold
Dr. Edward Gold
Dr. Kathleen Cullen
and I might add that if after 3 months of oral B12 , your levels do not improve, you may have a condition called pernicious anemia in which your body is not absorbing B12 through the gut. I would recommend IM injections in this case. This will more than likely be lifeterm.
Dr. Vicken Poochikian