Is it possible that on and off swelling of my abdomen be due to weightlifting to soon after hernia surgery?

Yes. I'm sure your surgeon doesn't want you to lift weights soon after repair.
It depends. It takes at least 6 weeks to fully heal from surgery. One of the most disappointing aspects of hernia repair is its failure rate. Inguinal hernia repair failures are very very uncommon. But ventral hernia repairs can be more than anyone would like. The best thing that you can do is reduce your risk of hernia repair failure by not engaging in vigorous activity for 6 weeks.