I have frequent boils while on imuran (azathioprine). What could it be?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Might be your

Do not know the condition being treated. I have not seen this in my patients, but it can weaken your ability to fight infection! It might also be part of your underyling disease. See your doctor!

In brief: Might be your

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Ralph Layman
Surgery - Transplant

In brief: Infection

Skin infections are commonly caused by staph.
Frequent multiple boils could represent a chronic resistant infection. The fact that you are on Imuran (azathioprine) already makes it harder for you to clear infections. You should be seen by you doctor and have these boils cultured to plan the appropriate treatment.

In brief: Infection

Dr. Ralph Layman
Dr. Ralph Layman