I had a umbilical hernia repaired lapiscopic but am still in pain. What can I do?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: See your surgeon

Unfortunately, pain is expected after hernia repair, whether performed laparoscopically or "open".
Most people are pain-free within a few weeks after hernia surgery. If your repair was done a while ago and you are still in pain, you need to see your surgeon to help get to the bottom of this. I hope it gets better soon.

In brief: See your surgeon

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. David Henry
Surgery

In brief: Meds, see surgeon

Within the first week after surgery, you can take the narcotic pain meds that the surgeon likely prescribed.
If the pain is severe, isn't getting better, or if there is a bulge at the hernia repair site, you should see the surgeon right away.

In brief: Meds, see surgeon

Dr. David Henry
Dr. David Henry
Dr. David Earle
Surgery

In brief: Time, meds, activity

It depends on when the hernia was repaired.
It is usually very painful, and you should be about 60-75% recovered by around 3 weeks. If not, see your surgeon.

In brief: Time, meds, activity

Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle
Dr. Cindy Juster