How much weight does a person lose taking tapazole (methimazole) for graves disease?

Should not lose. Graves' disease is condition in which an enlarged hyperactive thyroid gland makes too much thyroid hormone. Tapazole (methimazole) is a medication that treats graves' by lowering thyroid hormone production. Most (not all) patients with graves' or hyperthyroid conditions lose weight because extra thyroid hormone burns calories. Thus, tapazole (methimazole) usually causes weight gain unless thyroid level is still too high.