What makes sickle cell anemia so significant?

Chronic disease. Sickle cell disease is so significant in that it is a chronic disease that affects almost every organ. Like diabetes, the effects of sickle cell, crises, and transfusions can permanently affect the heart, the kidneys, the liver, the lungs, and the brain.
Complications. Sickle cell anemia is associated with major life-threatening complications. These include stroke, pneumonias, anemia, chest syndrome, eye problems, bone pain, transfusion requirements, etc. A well supported treatment plan is essential for management and some patients benefit with treatments such as Hydrea (hydroxyurea) and transplant.