Is it ok to open the cymbolta capsule and take the medication inside? I have had a gastric bypass and can not take capsules.

Dr. Vivek Prasad

In brief: Not recommended

I usually write for liquid formulations with gastric bypass patients.
Capsules are ot recommended because of the surgery. Ask you prescriber for a liquid or of a similar drug.

In brief: Not recommended

Dr. Vivek Prasad
Dr. Vivek Prasad
Dr. Robert Woods
Lilly, the manufacturer of Cymbalta, performed a study and if one opens the capsule, mix it with Mott's brand applesauce. Nothing else.
Dr. Guru Ghanta
Surgery

In brief: You can take capsule

I have not heard that advice about capsules for gastric bypass.
Most capsules should disintegrate and pass thru the stoma into small bowel. It may be a concern immediately after surgery but should be ok to take capsules or tablets after a month following surgery.

In brief: You can take capsule

Dr. Guru Ghanta
Dr. Guru Ghanta
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery