A vietnamese friend of mine, has at the base of their tongue what looks like a flap of extra skin which is attatched to the tongue, stands up slightly?

In brief: Anatomical

From your description it sounds like you are describing a "prominent lingual frenum ".
Most humans have a lingual frenum but in some people it may be more prominent or high and visible.

In brief: Anatomical

Dr. Keerti Sahasrabudhe
Dr. Keerti Sahasrabudhe
Dr. David Sherris
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Get it checked

Could be a taste bud or a lesion. I would get it checked.

In brief: Get it checked

Dr. David Sherris
Dr. David Sherris
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Lingual Frenum

The frenulum of tongue or tongue web is a small fold of mucous membrane extending from the floor of the mouth to the midline of the underside of the tongue.
See the adjacent photo. If it doesn't look like the picture, your friend will have to see a dentist for the answer.

In brief: Lingual Frenum

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler