I wear a retainer and often have slight bleeding from my gums when I brush. Are these connected? Or is something wrong?

Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics
In brief: Maybe
If the retainer does not fit correctly, or pushes against your gums, this might be the source.
You may also be overdue for your cleaning and have buildup which will contribute. See your dentist to check the fit, adjust as needed, and advise about cleaning and home care.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler
In brief: Gingivitis
Sounds like you might have gingivitis.
If it has gone into the bone it could cause tooth loss. A retainer might make it more challenging to keep your teeth clean. You might consider a check up with a dentist to make sure it is not too serious.

In brief: Gingivitis
Sounds like you might have gingivitis.
Dr. John Van der Werff
Dr. John Van der Werff
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Possible
But not probable.
If you are bleeding in the area where the retainer lays agains your gums there may be a connection. Possible irritation or hers infection.

In brief: Possible
But not probable.
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dr. Ray Tidman
In brief: Good hygene
If after a couple weeks of vigorous daily brushing and flossing you still have bleeding, seek an early dental check up.

In brief: Good hygene
Dr. Ray Tidman
Dr. Ray Tidman
Dr. Jack Hinkle