I'm on my period and having more hurtful than usual lower stomach pain. Might it be a blood clot or something else?

Dr. Keegan Duchicela

In brief: Likely normal period

When we worry about blood clots, these are usually in the deep veins of our arms or legs.
While you are bleeding with your period, you won't form the dangerous types of blood clots we worry about. I suggest to my patients to try Ibuprofen or Naproxen during their period if they're having cramps. If you're having fever, burning when you urinate or any other symptoms, time to see your doctor.

In brief: Likely normal period

Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology