How long can I safely use Zicam allergy relief for?

Dr. HENRY LEGERE
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Not studied

Zicam is a homeopathic nasal treatment that has not been studied in a controlled fashion.
Most allergists don't typically recommend it for this reason, however, if you are using it and don't seem to have any side effects from it (and you feel like you are getting relief) it is probably ok to continue.

In brief: Not studied

Dr. HENRY LEGERE
Dr. HENRY LEGERE
Dr. Thomas Klein

In brief: Change meds

There are much better medicine than zicam. I recommend changing Zicam to Allegra (fexofenadine) 180 mg once daily for allergy relief.
Allegra (fexofenadine) does not cause drowsiness. If you are pregnant do not take Allegra (fexofenadine) and use zyrtec instead.

In brief: Change meds

Dr. Thomas Klein
Dr. Thomas Klein
Dr. Kenneth Backman

In brief: No specific limit

There is no specific time limit on how long you can use Zicam allergy relief.
However, if symptoms are not improving, you should contact your doctor. Some Zicam remedies contain topical nasal decongestants, which should not be used for more than 3 days, but Zicam allergy relief does not. Make sure the swabs you're using do not contain zinc, which can be dangerous if applied directly into the nose.

In brief: No specific limit

Dr. Kenneth Backman
Dr. Kenneth Backman
Dr. Steven Seres