What happens if my infant does not pass a hearing test?

Further testing. The screening of newborns for hearing loss is one of the great public health triumphs in the last 10 years. The screening tests used have some shortcomings that occasionally require additional testing in order to accurately define the hearing levels in young infants and children. Defining the hearing levels is important and can have enormous implications for speech and language development.
Re-tested initially. Hearing tests are now universally recommended for all newborns. Just like any screening test, occasionally you can get false-positives (meaning that the infant can hear but still failed the test). The first step is always to repeat the hearing test within the first month. If the infant still does not pass the hearing test, they are referred to an audiologist for further evaluation.