If I do not take medication for my rheumatoid arthritis will I die?

Dr. Angus Worthing
In brief: Probably not
This is a good question for your own doctor. In general, the short answer is: your arthritis may just get worse and worse without medicines.
The longer answer is that studies are starting to show that improved treatment of RA lowers risk of heart attack and possibly risk of death. Medicines have various risks but most people do well when monitored appropriately.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Angus Worthing
Dr. Angus Worthing
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Shorter life
Untreated rheumatoid arthritis shortens lives.
The effect on the lifespan depends on the severity of the disease and the amount of inflammation. Stopping RA medications rarely causes immediate death but untreated RA is potentially very serious.

In brief: Shorter life
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine