Estrogen increases the risk of endometrial cancer, but does it increase the risk of breast cancer as well?

Dr. William A Biermann
Internal Medicine - Oncology
Studies have shown an increase risk of breast cancer in patients treated with estrogen replacement.
In fact, women at high risk for getting breast cancer are treated with tamoxifen or evista (raloxifene). Those drugs block the effect of estrogen on breast tissue.

Dr. William A Biermann
Dr. William A Biermann
Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology
In brief: Probably
The studies show mixed results, but most agree that long-term estrogen replacement may increase bc risk.
My advice: short term ert (<3 years) is generally safe unless you have a bad family history or personal history of abnormal breast biopsies. I would take ert beyond 3-4 years only if you are truly miserable without it. After a few years most women can taper their ert.

In brief: Probably
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. John Geisler
Gynecology - Oncology
In brief: Estrogen
That is a highly controversial topic with data going both ways.
It is easier to say the combination of estrogen and Progesterone (together) in a postmenopausal women increases the risk of breast cancer.

In brief: Estrogen
Dr. John Geisler
Dr. John Geisler
Dr. Jane Van Dis