Have people been sucessfully treated with hypericum perforatum (st john wort) for moderate depression?

In brief: Depression

"A 2009 systematic review of 29 international studies suggested that St.
John’s wort may be better than a placebo (an inactive substance that appears identical to the study substance) and as effective as standard prescription antidepressants for major depression of mild to moderate severity." REF: https://nccih.nih.gov/health/stjohnswort/sjw-and-depression.htm. However, many studies are from

In brief: Depression

2 comments
Germany where this is classified as a medication & thus dosing is likely to be more standardize & quality more scrutinized then in the US where it is not considered a medication by the FDA.
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
It is difficult to define depression or to be confident of designation as "moderate". It is difficult, therefore, to estimate the therapeutic effects of medicines used for treatment. It is even more difficult to assign any benefit to herbal products of unknown purity and unknown potency. We have no supervision or testing of herbal products: buyer beware. Not for me.
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: St. john

In my practice, only a few, ones that couldn't't tolerate antidepressants.

In brief: St. john

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Vicken Poochikian