If I brush my teeth during fasting for my A1c test, will it give a false reading?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: No worries
A1c does not require fasting.
That's the beauty of the test. It's not affected by what you eat before the test.

In brief: No worries
A1c does not require fasting.
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Guy DaSilva
Preventive Medicine
In brief: HbA1c & toothbrushin
The hemoglobin A1c is a measure of glycation found in blood tests.
It is a combination of sugars meshing with proteins on the cell surface. It determines how your body processed sugar over a three month period. It is not a measure of sugar itself. Therefore, it will not be affected by teeth brushing.

In brief: HbA1c & toothbrushin
Dr. Guy DaSilva
Dr. Guy DaSilva
Dr. Heidi Nelson
Dentistry
In brief: Not at all
Not at all. The a1c measures blood sugar over a period of time, not the agents in your toothpaste.
The flavoring agents in toothpaste are not sugar in any case. As a side comment, you could brush as effectively with no toothpaste, with mouth rinse or with baking soda and water.

In brief: Not at all
Dr. Heidi Nelson
Dr. Heidi Nelson
Dr. Jonathan Jassey