If I have a shellfish allergy, why can I not use iodine?

Dr. James Sublett
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Radiocontrast media
People with shellfish allergy are sometimes told they should avoid iodine and radioconstrast media (rcm).
This is not true and is a myth. Iodine does not cause allergy. While people who have any allergies may have a slightly higher risk to a reaction to rcm, it is still low. Shellfish allergy does not increase the risk for a reaction.

In brief: Radiocontrast media
Dr. James Sublett
Dr. James Sublett
Dr. James Sublett
In brief: This is myth.
Shellfish allergy is one of the more common food allergies, mainly in adults, but the idea that iodine should also be avoided is a myth.
Iodine does not cause allergy. Although shellfish does contain iodine, a teaspoon of iodized table salt contains over 10x as much iodine as 3 oz of shrimp. Fish and shellfish allergy is the result of allergy to proteins in the meat.

In brief: This is myth.
Dr. James Sublett
Dr. James Sublett
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Very interesting. I did not know that.
Dr. Adam Smith