What is the best treatment for teens who self-harm by cutting?

Dr. Kenneth Adler

In brief: No simple answer

There should be a good psychiatric evaluation, then an appropriate treatment plan be developed.

In brief: No simple answer

Dr. Kenneth Adler
Dr. Kenneth Adler

In brief: DBT

Dialectical Behavioral Therapy is the gold standard for treating patients who self -mutilate.

In brief: DBT

Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Cutting

Teens are at higher risk for drug use and cutting, as well as other risky behaviors.
This kind of acting out is done as a way of communicating what are often very complex feelings about themselves, their world, their future, and in my opinion, DEEPLY conflicted relationships with people in positions of authority.

In brief: Cutting

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry