If I have severe neck pain does that mean it's a pitch nerve?

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Not always
There are many causes of neck pain, even severe neck pain.
They include pinched nerves, arthritis in the neck, poor posture, fractures, muscle pain as well as more serious causes such as spinal cord compression, tumors etc. Most neck pain is benign, meaning it will not kill you but it can certainly ruin your quality of life. See your doctor and if you do not have one try to find a doctor.

In brief: Not always
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues
If you don't have cancer or an infection, .001% of the time, the you have muscular trigger point issues. The trigger points can cause many types of pain signals; electrical, pressure, aching, gnawing, throbbing and can drive you crazy. A good massage person can find them and deactivate them. Acupuncture and needling are my specialty.
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Possibly
Having a pinched nerve in the neck can cause neck pain, headaches, and pain or numbness that runs into the arm and hand.
That being said, there are many potential causes of neck pain from muscular, inflammatory, or spinal causes. I would encourage you to schedule an exam which can usually tell the cause. Thank you for your question.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Vikram Patel