What over-the-counter medicine is best for a runny nose with sneezing and an itch?

Antihistamine. The symptoms you are describing are usually (but not always) due to allergies. An antihistamine (like benedryl, zyrtec, Claritin (loratadine) or allegra) is most likely to be helpful. Side effects (mostly sleepiness) are different for different antihistamines, so choose one appropriate to your needs.
There are 3---- Try Allegra zyrtec or Claritin (loratadine) --- just read labels for precautions -- and the generics of these work just as well and are cheaper. If these don't help enough , see an allergist.