Is there a difference between ephedrine (ephedrine sulfate) and pseudoephedrine (ephedrine sulfate)?

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Different drugs

They are chemically related, but Pseudoephedrine is safer, has fewer side effects (elevated blood pressure, pulse, increased anxiety etc.
) and for the most part, pseudoephredrine and phenylephrine have replaced Ephedrine (ephedrine sulfate) in most cold medicines. Ephedrine (ephedrine sulfate) is still around, used in lots of chinese herbal remedies and weight loss drugs. I do not recommend Ephedrine (ephedrine sulfate) for any of my patients.

In brief: Different drugs

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: No

They are very similar drugs.
At this time neither one is available in the US.

In brief: No

They are very similar drugs.
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Seres