My dentist just put permanent filling and temporary crown and asked me to take antibiotics for a week. I'm wondering should I take the antibiotics?

Dr. James Anderson
Dentistry
In brief: Unusual
That is an unusual request--unless you have just had root canal therapy on the same tooth.
Ask him why he is recommending this before proceeding.

In brief: Unusual
Dr. James Anderson
Dr. James Anderson
In brief: Antibiotics
Antibiotics are taken to combat infections would suggest you call them to ask them why your being asked to take it.

In brief: Antibiotics
Dr. Gregori Kurtzman
Dr. Gregori Kurtzman
Dr. Matt Fulmer
Dentistry
I would recommend following your dentist's directions.
There are only certain situations where antibiotics are needed as far as teeth go but do as he says.

Dr. Matt Fulmer
Dr. Matt Fulmer
Dr. Gary Alder
You should follow your doctor's recomendations but you should also understand the reason for the intervention. Possible reasons: area is infected, area is susceptible for infection, you have under lieing disease that makes you more susceptible to infection. Ask the doctor.
Dr. Mark Bornfeld
Dentistry
In brief: I'm wondering, too..
Antibiotics are powerful tools, and their use should be reserved for situations where there is a valid rationale--to aid in the management of uncontrolled acute bacterial infection, and occasionally to protect vulnerable individuals from sepsis.
These do not apply here. Too many doctors find the habit of inappropriate prescribing of antibiotics too hard to break. See http://www.Cdc.Gov/getsmart/.

In brief: I'm wondering, too..
Dr. Mark Bornfeld
Dr. Mark Bornfeld
Dr. Jayang Vora
Dentistry
In brief: Not sure
Without knowing your detail and why? It is difficult to answer. In my practice I do not prescribe antibiotics for permanent feeling and temp.
In brief: Not sure
Crown.
Dr. Jayang Vora
Dr. Jayang Vora
Dr. Marius Rog
I would consider antibiotic after filling or crown as an excessive treatment unless special circumstances.
Dr. Jane Van Dis