My one-year-old hates it when I brush his teeth. What should I do?

In brief: Brush
Next time around you should start earlier by rubbing gums by 4-5 mo so the kid is used to you paying attention to this area by the time they develop attitude.
By a year & with the onset of waking (mobility) kids decide to enforce the "I don't want to" attitude more often.Expect it with just about anything and just be the parent.It is not abusive to do what they need.They will eventually understand

In brief: Brush
Dr. Andrew Berry
Use your creativity to make tasks that are chores seem like fun. Discipline need not be the enemy of enthusiasm!
Dr. Jay Kansal
Dentistry
In brief: Brush them
Unfortunately, not a whole lot, most children hate to have their teeth brushed.
It is just something you have to do as a parent and have them cry until they figure out its not that bad and they make it a habit. Things that may help is getting a good tasting baby toothpaste and making a game out of it, rewarding your child after your done.

In brief: Brush them
Dr. Jay Kansal
Dr. Jay Kansal
Dr. Dennis Kelley
Dentistry
In brief: Keep brushing
If you do not want him to have cavities keep helping him to brush, using a pleasant flavored tooth paste will make it more appealing to him and easier for you.

In brief: Keep brushing
Dr. Dennis Kelley
Dr. Dennis Kelley
Dr. Shontae Buffington