Why are you still protected on the inactive birth control pills but can get pregnant if you skip an active pill?

Both are risky. Pill failure can occur when any pill is missed - usually takes more than a few - but- the most important pills not to miss or delay are the starting pills in the next pack. Any delay or missed pills may allow a rise in fsh and lh - which could lead to an unintended pregnancy. Protection during the inactive pills only lasts about 3 days or so - there is an advantage of a 24 - 26 day pill.