Does breast pain signal breast cancer?

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Not common

Breast pain although can be part of presentation of breast cancer- however, it is not a common sign of breast cancer. Many things can give breast pain including- cyclical changes ( hormonal changes related to period), hormonal imbalance, fibrocystic disease of the breast, inflammation, infection/abscess, caffeine, trauma, large breast size with a poor bra support etc, all can give you breast pain.

In brief: Not common

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Mazen Ghani
Radiology

In brief: Rarely

Breast pain is a very common symptom and reflects benign findings.
Breast cancer is typically painless.

In brief: Rarely

Breast cancer is typically painless.
Dr. Mazen Ghani
Dr. Mazen Ghani
Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery

In brief: Fibrocystic change

If you search for this topic, you will see many of my colleagues have information on breast pain and fibrocystic changes /fibrocystic breasts

In brief: Fibrocystic change

Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton