My dentist just put permanent filling and temporary crown and asked me to take antibiotics for a week. I'm wondering should I take the antibiotics?

Dr. James Donley
Dentistry

In brief: Maybe

There should be a reason that antibiotics are taken.
You don't provide one. Did your dentist? When antibiotics are taken without an infection present, it contributes to diminishing the effect of antibiotics in the future. You should contact your dentist to find out if you have an infection or what his/her reason was.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. James Donley
Dr. James Donley
Dr. William Eliades
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Antibiotics

If your dentist suggested the antibiotics you should follow his instructions.

In brief: Antibiotics

Dr. William Eliades
Dr. William Eliades
Dr. steven Present
Dentistry

In brief: Probably no

If there is no signs or symptoms of an active infection you should not take an antibiotic.
Antibiotics are prescribed way too often.

In brief: Probably no

Dr. steven Present
Dr. steven Present

In brief: Follow advice

When dental work is done, at times there is associated bacterimia, or increse in the number of bacteria.
In many people, especially diabetics or who have their immune system compromised in some way, it can lead to infections. Your dentist is the best person to judge if the work they have done requires you to be on antibiotics.

In brief: Follow advice

Dr. Mini Sambhavita Rangrass
Dr. Mini Sambhavita Rangrass
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine