How different does saline feel vs silicone breast implants?

Dr. James Boynton
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Breast Implant feel

Silicone gel implants integrate better with breast tissue and feel more natural and softer. Saline implants are filled with salt water and are not as soft.
This is more noticeable in patients with thinner tissues. Occasionally patients with saline implants also can feel a "slosh" from fluid "movement" within the implant shell; however, this is rare.

In brief: Breast Implant feel

Dr. James Boynton
Dr. James Boynton
Dr. Patrick Schaner
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Silicone feel better

The majority of my breast augmentation patients choose silicone.
It has a softer more realistic feel and shows less rippling in thinner patients. I have my patients hold saline and silicone implants in their initial consultation to feel the difference for themselves.

In brief: Silicone feel better

Dr. Patrick Schaner
Dr. Patrick Schaner
Dr. Jason Lichten
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Varies

In general, silicone implants look, act and feel more natural.
However, it depends on the size of the breast implant and how much native breast tissue a woman has as to how much of the implant you feel. For example, a woman with an a cup preoperatively who gets a larger implant, the feel is mostly determined by the implant. If you have larger native breasts and smaller implants, it matters less.

In brief: Varies

Dr. Jason Lichten
Dr. Jason Lichten
Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Patient dependent

While saline and silicone implants feel different when in your hands, it is difficult to tell the difference once they are implanted in most patients.
I recommend silicone implants for patients with very thin chest walls, because the rippling that is present in all implants is less prominent in silicone implants and will be less noticeable. Most often it is a matter of patient choice.

In brief: Patient dependent

Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: In almost all...

Patients, there is no difference.
They feel different if you hold one in each hand, but in the body there is minimal difference. All implants wrinkle to some degree, and this is more apparent with saline than silicone. However, the difference is only significant in very thin patients. It is mostly a matter of patient and surgeon preference.

In brief: In almost all...

Patients, there is no difference.
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Jane Van Dis